FAQ Dance Info
What people ask
The bottom line: Most of the things you need to do are possible, but there are some sharp edges in here too. If you don't know how to do something, please ask rather than just poking at things to see what happens.
- Need to change your contact info, dance role, home-club etc?
- » If you have made a site account,
and then Edit your profile (or use link at top of page).
If you have not made a site account, contact a registrar.
- Need to change your password?
- » You can do that from the Edit Profile page, or here
- How do I pay?
- » Either Make a check to “CFS” and mail it to
» Or Pay online.
For the 2023 weekend, your payment can be made here: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=8SD3G68GY22S4
You must replace PayPal's "Price per item" with the correct amount and be sure your contact info there will allow us to find your registration here! (We can only see the name and email you gave PayPal)
- Where is the schedule?
- » https://corvallisfolklore.org/static/schedule_2023.html
- Larks and robins or gents and ladies?
- » Some of each. We schedule a few sessions that will be called with bird-name roles. There may be a dance or two each evening in the same manner. Most of the dances will use traditional role names.
- May I bring my pet?
- » Not to the dance venues, please. Not all dancers will enjoy dealing with your pet, so please leave it home.
- Will there be (a specific) session/workshop?
- » "Maybe". There will be dance sessions that emphasize some aspect(s) of contra dancing. There will be workshops with musicians, and usually a callers brown bag lunch. We always work with the callers and musicians to have sessions that they like and we think people will enjoy.
- Are the potlucks vegan / gluten free / …?
- We encourage you to bring a list of ingredients for your potluck items.
- Ask any question, fix something not mentioned above, suggest an addition to this list or anything else?
- » Please contact the registrar:
How do you do admissions?
- In "priority order"
- The majority of dancers who have signed up and paid are added to the roster in priorty order.
- What's "priority order"?
- Your priority order is determined by when you signed up. If your payment is 10 or more days late, your priority order is based on the postmark, or the timestamp of an online transaction.
- By lottery
- Dancers not yet admitted whose payment we have received are admitted in random order until the dance is filled.
- Role balancing
- We do try to "role balance" the dance so as to maximize everyone's chance to dance as much as they want, in the role they prefer. Your options are "lead", "follow" or "both". While admitting, we pay attention to roles, so all of the above will be slightly modified to maintain "balance".
- Waiting list
- Dancers who signed up and paid but were not admitted in the first two passes are added to the waiting list in random order.
- You are notified by email when you are admitted or put onto the waiting list. We try to get that done by three weeks after signups open. Failing that, we try really hard to get it done by Christmas… or if the signup period goes on longer, soon after we receive your payment.
- Early admission
- We may admit you "early", if you ask. The most common reason is because you need to know in order to make travel plans. If you think you have a good reason, please ask.
- Will this change?
- Probably. We will try to keep this document current. If it looks wrong, please contact the registrar.
Are my chances of getting in better if…
- … I sign up as early as possible?
- Yes. Signup starts just after midnight on the day the website mentions, and continues until we have signups for about 110% of the number of dancers who will be accepted. Some dancers will be on the waiting list.
- … I'm part of a dance couple?
- Not really. Signing up as a group / couple is about whether you want to be sure you and your group will all attend or not attend, together.
- … I offer a donation?
- No, though we are a 501(c)(3) orgainzation and welcome donations.
- … I offer housing for out of town dancers?
- No, though we do very much welcome that!
- … I tell you my preferred dance role is "lead"?
- No. In many earlier dances, "lead" dancers were able to sign up later and still get in. More recently, that has not been the case.
- … What about chocolate?
- No, though it is very good to bring some chocolate or other finger food to share at the breaks
When signups have closed
We try to close signups after we have a "sufficient" number of dancers on the waiting list to fill blanks when dancers have to drop out: You are not guaranteed a place at the dance just because you were able to sign up. We do try to guess what "sufficient" will be so as not to disappoint very many dancers.
|Year||Date closed†||Days open†|
|2013||December 6th||36 *|
|2012||December 26th||50 *|
|Earlier||(December / January)||50 or more|
† Approximate for some dances|
* Signups opened 1 November before 2014