2008 Corvallis Contra Weekend
February 15, 16, 17
Two contra bands, Two contra callers
Great Bear Trio
- As one of the hottest and most influential dance bands in the country, The Great Bear Trio continues to push the boundaries and set the standard for modern contra dance music. Multi-instrumentalist brothers Andrew and Noah VanNorstrand are ably accompanied by their mother Kim Yerton on piano. Their driving rhythm, epic dynamics and uniquely rocking style have given them a loyal following of all ages.
The Kitchen Band
- Betsy Branch and George Penk blend fiddle melodies with Heather Pinney's tasty piano licks or haunting third fiddle. Fred Nussbaum fills the out the recipe with his cello's full sound, (or adds percussive spice) and Todd Silverstein keeps the taste fresh with whistle, bouzouki, and saxophone seasonings.
- Beth is known for her quick no-nonsense walk throughs and effective teaching for both the newest dancers and the most seasoned of dancers.
(California / Massachusetts)
- Jeremy Korr is a popular bicoastal caller, based in Southern California most of the year and in Eastern Massachusetts during the summer. A second-generation dancer, Jeremy has been dancing his whole life, and has been calling contras and squares around the country since 2003. Jeremy is acclaimed for his fun dances, efficient walkthroughs, precise calling, and community spirit.
- Wayne dances, and so knows what dancers need to hear! He works closely with each musician to ensure they have what they need to sound their best.
Flier: This is the 2008 Flier... If we have one on file; otherwise, it is a dead link.