2013 Corvallis Contra Weekend
February 15, 16, 17
Two contra bands, Two contra callers
- Elixir blends driving fiddle and guitar with the rich texture and rhythmic excitement of a full horn section, deftly weaving brassy riffs and daring solos in and out of traditional Irish, French Canadian and New England tunes. Elixir's repertoire includes contra, English, swing, waltz, couples dance, and concert music.
(Originally from Olympia WA )
- The Retrospectacles are a young group of contra dance musicians whose natural enthusiasm and powerful playing have torn up dance floors all over the Northwest. Drawing from their childhoods growing up at music camps and festivals, and their early immersions in contra dancing and music.
- Nils Fredland has been calling dances with admirable skill and infectious energy since 2000. Respected for his expertise as a teacher and caller, sensitive leadership, and generosity, Nils is one of the busiest and most sought-after callers in the business. He draws on a large and varied repertoire of dances, presenting material from centuries-old "chestnuts" to cutting-edge contemporary choreography.
- Susie's calling is clear, her teaching succinct and accurate, and her manner friendly. She chooses dances that are interesting, smooth-flowing and fun; and her characteristic cheerful aplomb brings delight during the dance.
- Alan is a fiddle player (plays with Southwest Passage) and dancer in addition to being an excellent sound man. He is aware of the nuances that make us all happy, and is able to provide a great experience for the callers, band members and dancers.
Flier: This is the 2013 Flier... If we have one on file; otherwise, it is a dead link.