FAQ Dance Info
Information about Corvallis Contra Weekend 2023
This duplicates the information that we send to dancers just before the dance
Volunteer: Help make it wonderful
Help make the dance a wonderful experience by volunteering. Sign up here: signupgenius.com
We have set up a carpool page on Facebook. You may use that page to request or offer rides to and from the weekend as well as rides during the weekend.
Contacting each other about the dance
When you were accepted, you were added to a mail list for this year. You may send an email to all of us if you think it might be of interest to many dancers: contra-weekend-dancers@CorvallisFolklore.org
Arriving at the dance
The registration table will open at 6:30 p.m. on Friday February 17, at Gatton Hall. Please try not to arrive before then, as your presence before that time would add to the last minute confusion. The dance starts at 7:30 p.m. on Friday.
Bring with you to the dance
- Shoes with clean soles to protect the dance floor. Please make this a high priority: The church is talking about raising our rent because of the high cost of refinishing the floor!
- Your own water container We will provide water from coolers, but we and the church much prefer to be as green as possible, so no disposable water cups are available.
- Earplugs The bands provide wonderful music, loud enough for everyone to hear!
Do not bring with you to the dance
- Fragrance No perfume, scented aftershave, scented shampoo, or scented deodorant. We have dancers with severe allergies to scented products.
- Pets Please do not bring pets to the dance. If you must have them here, be sure to keep them in your vehicle and away from dancers who may have allergies.
- Sickness Please, if you are ill, do not bring your illness to share. We will refund as much of your fee as possible. We hate the idea that you are not able to be here, but better that than starting an epidemic among your friends. Please contact Karen and Frank Griswold firstname.lastname@example.org 541 250 0213 (after 10 am, please)
DEFINITELY don't bring COVID! We have a covid policy: FAQ Covid policy
- To avoid scratches, please clean your shoes every time you come in. Even if you stepped out to cool down between dances. Grit hurts the floor.
- To avoid dirty carpets please clean your shoes as you leave the hall. Dance dust is hard to get out of carpets.
- Food-based allergies can be transferred by hand to hand contact. Please wash your hands both before and after you eat.
- Fragrances can cause serious allergic reactions. Scented shampoo, soap, deodorant and aftershave products can all cause problems. Please avoid using them during the weekend. We will provide suitable soap in the bathrooms. Please wash your hands often!
This year, we are skipping potluck meals. If you wish, please bring individually packaged snacks that may be shared throughout the weekend. Because of possible allergies, it's best to provide an ingredients list for things you made yourself.
You are responsible to find housing for yourselves! Check https://CorvallisFolklore.org/ccw/housing (you must log in to your ccw account). If you cannot make this work, we can help: Erik Knoder cfs.dance.housing@CorvallisFolklore.org
Larks and Robins
Dances and workshops will be taught and called using "Larks" and "Robins" as role names.
Extras and Details
- Callers There may be a callers brown-bag lunch on Saturday. Still under discussion.
- Lockout Saturday night, dancers will be locked out of the church after the last workshop, for the dinner hour. We'll unlock again by 7:15 pm for the dance party.
- Musicians There will be several workshops throughout the weekend.
- Clean out Saturday night, dancers must move everything out of the Fireplace room, the Music Room, the Foyer and the bathrooms… and into vehicles or Gatton Hall. Check for dance bags, jackets, umbrellas, shoes, phones… everything!
- Musicians are invited to participate in the community band for our Sunday Morning Waltzing at Elks Club from 9:30 to 11:50 a.m. Please bring a music stand if possible!
Sunday night dance
Corvallis Folklore Society will host a dance on Sunday night, open to all comers. Beginners session at 7:00, dancing from 7:30 until 10:30. Both bands, both callers. Admission is $12.00. If you aren't quite ready to call it a weekend and head home, you can stretch the experience with Sunday night dancing to the same great bands and callers, with some new faces too.