(current) Contra Weekend Contra Weekend 2006
Corvallis Contra Weekend Talent for 2006
(East and West Coasts)
- One of the hottest new bands on the contemporary contra dance scene, Lift Ticket is sweeping the nation, captivating dancers at dances and dance camps from coast to coast. They fuse an extraordinary repertoire of fiddle tunes, rendered with flair and flame, and grooves ranging from smokin' to sublime. It all comes together in an unforgettable dance experience. (Rex Blazer, fiddle, Alaska & Florida; Seth Houston, piano, guitar, was New Hampshire, now California; C. W. Abbott, mandolin, Rhode Island; Stefan Amidon, drums, percussion, Vermont)
- This band is one of the "hidden treasures" of the Oregon contra dance scene. Three superb musicians blend smoothly to offer exquisitely danceable renditions of old time, Celtic and Quebecois tunes. You'll love the spirit and grace, and powerful drive, as they transport dancers to new ecstasies! (George Penk, fiddle; Heather Pinney, piano; Fred Nussbaum, cello, percussion)
- Becky calls frequently at workshops and dance camps across the continent, and at home in Cleveland. She has composed dozens of contra dances, published in two collections, Twirling Dervish and Twirling Dervish Returns, with a third book of dances in progress.
- Woody enjoys calling smooth, active contras and good, fast squares. His teaching is clear and precise; and as he generates excitement and exhilaration on the dance floor, you may find him accentuating the music with delightful percussive footwork.
- Wayne dances, and so knows what dancers need to hear! He works closely with each musician to ensure they have what they need to sound their best.